Friday, January 28, 2011

What are your dreams and aspirations?

Last night we were at a friend's birthday dinner.  Two of our friends, who hadn't previously met, were getting to know each other, asking the normal questions.  "What are your interests?"  "What do you do for work?"  Then came the big one.  One had the boldness to ask "And what are your dreams and aspirations?"  Woah!  Loaded question.  He came back with an answer I had not heard before, and one which has me thinking and contemplating.  "To live life well," he responded.


I've often been asked this question, and recently have been mulling it over and over in my mind.  "What do I want to do?"  "What are my dreams?"  "What has God called me to?"  At work, fellow employees consistently ask me what I want to do, seeking to find whether or not they have competition if a Supervisor role opens up. :)  I don't know.  I don't know what to tell them.


It seems I've been programmed to think and to say "things" when others ask of my dreams and aspirations, as though they're expecting some great response of "I want to start this" or "I want to do this," "In the future I'd love to be doing this."  I've been thinking of all the answers I can give... start a retreat center?  Lead youth missions trips?  Write curriculum?  Human resources?  Management?  Nursing?  What do I say?!


"To live well."  What a confident, genuine response.  If I put aside people's expectations or my own expectations of what I think people want to hear, he's right.  I want to live well.  My dreams and aspirations are ultimately to live a life that glorifies God.  To make the most of life and to help others make the most of theirs.  


So Father, help us not to be caught up in the ways and the thinking of this world.  May we be who YOU want us to be, doing what YOU want us to do.  And in this, we are thankful for a life full of joy, of peace, and of meaning.  May we live well... for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment