Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What are you aiming for?


The last several days I've been thinking a lot about what I'm aiming for.  What my dreams are, what my goals are, and what I'm doing to get there...

You see, it started last week when I asked Mark to teach me how to throw a frisbee properly.  This was probably the 101st time I've been shown, but somehow I can never get enough power, and I have random throws where it's as if the frisbee hooks on my fingers and flies forcefully behind me instead of the direction I thought I was aiming.  As Mark led me he would say, "Amy, you're not looking at me!  Before you throw you glance into the woods or wherever and that's where the frisbee ends up going."  I fought him a bit and tried so hard to focus on him, but lo and behold, I had a tendency to take my eyes off Mark at the last second and the frisbee would go flying, unaimed.  As I focused my attention solely on Mark, the frisbee would go right there!

A couple days later we were out mountain biking.  I noticed toward the middle of our trip that I would glance at the uneven, often rocky ground we were travelling on, and when a larger rock appeared in the path I would be so focused on NOT hitting it, that I would actually end up hitting it!  I kept doing it, staring at the rock I was trying so hard not to hit, but "hit!" every time.  I started noticing the obstacles and instead of focusing on them, focusing on the path where I wanted to go instead.  There in solved the problem.  I needed to focus on the exact point I was going for.  If I focused on the wrong point, then I would hit it.  Whatever I focus on, is what I hit.

I haven't been able to help but think about this concept in my life.  Is my life aiming for worldly success, though with everything within my I want to aim for Kingdom 'success'?  Am I aiming for a 'normal' or 'practical' job though I so desperately desire to aim for full time ministry?  Am I aiming for recognition or credentials, or am I aiming for the Father to say 'Well done'?  Whatever I aim for, is what I will get.  If I aim at nothing, that's just what I get.  I am inspired this week to go for the passions and dreams God has put in my heart.  I am inspired to AIM for them, instead of just HOPE for them.  I am inspired to put practical steps to the things I have long desired.  And though it may not come right away, I will aim for the dreams He has put inside of me.  If I aim at nothing, that is surely what I'll get.

No comments:

Post a Comment